Warning: This is gonna be an emotional post.
Yes, I’m a Manchester United fan. What do u mean why? I’m a Singaporean that’s why. (There have always been jibes about Man United and their apparent lack of local support. Claim back in the days was that Man United fans in Singapore greatly outnumber those in Manchester. Good one that.)
In all seriousness, growing up in the 90s, a typical Singaporean boy (no girls cos they stink and don’t watch football when I was 9) pledged their allegiance to a few select teams, namely Man United, Liverpool, Blackburn and Newcastle. These were the so called best teams growing up.
But no, that wasn’t really the reason I started supporting Man United. My story was of pure fate. I had no knowledge of football prior to 1994 and started to gain some interest after tagging along my elder brothers in watching the football telecasts. I remembered Maradona’s solo goal against Greece and the picture of him on the newspaper front page with a headline that screamed “I’M BACK!!!”
World cup fever came and left. And that was that. I had no concept of football leagues being played overseas. Until one day I accidentally chanced upon a telecast. Oh how i missed you the lush greenery of the football pitch. An out of the world goal was being replayed on the television.
My latest t-shirt design delves into football history, specifically on the Holy Trinity of the 1960s. Comprising of Denis Law, George Best and Bobby Charlton, the trio played a significant part in Manchester United success during the 60s which culminated in the 1968 European Cup triumph.
Finally got my 1st design of 2012 out of the way and it’s an awesome superhero tee! Kinda.
In case you didn’t get it, this is Dutch footballer Robin van Persie as Robin aka Batman’s sidekick. I for one think that van Persie’s ability of scoring goals is way cooler than Robin’s superhero power of sticking real close to Batman.
Check out some of his amazing goals over here. That last video on there is pretty neat as well.
Oh by the way, the t-shirt is now on sale at shirtyfooty.com. Check it out and spread the love!
Sir Alex Ferguson recently celebrated 25 years in the hotseat at Manchester United. That is almost as long as I’ve been in existence. The media have been running features lauding his achievements and reviewing some of the highlights of his career.
Off the top of my head, here is a few of what I remember about the man,
- Fallout with his one time assistant, Brian Kidd, who is currently Man City’s assistant manager.
- Paying crazy money (at that time) for Andy Cole which looks like an awful mistake at that time.
- Paying even crazier money for Juan Sebastian Veron which is definitely an awful mistake.
- The boot to Beckham’s beautiful head and their subsequent fallout.
- His rivalry with Wenger and his livid response when Wenger said the immortal line, “Everyone thinks they have the prettiest wife at home”. Kaboomz!
- Fallout with Jaap Stam and replaced him with 35 year old Laurent Blanc. *sound of title challenge crumbling*
- His retirement u-turn and the disaster precluding that.
- His subsequent mellowing, affording plenty of leeway in his treatment of the modern footballers like Ronaldo and Rooney.
- His purple nose.
Trust me, it looks way purpler on screen. With this one outstanding physical trait, I thought it will be a good idea to do up a caricature of the man that everyone can identify with. Added with a subtle distressed effect and slapped on a t-shirt, this is what I came up with: